Saturday, February 14, 2015

Race Recap: Seroogy's 15K

Last weekend was the goal race for the Fleet Feet Winter Warrior program. I was excited for race day and I was hoping my group would all have a great race. We lucked out with the weather, this race is notorious for freezing weather, it was 20 degrees with barely any wind and an overcast day. Great for racing conditions and they wanted to run a bit faster than our training pace of 10:30.

This was our group for the winter, and there are probably like 20 people missing from this photo. Some true WI winter warriors!!

We started out a bit fast and I didn't want to a burn out later, so I kept putting reminders out to keep an easy pace to start. The first two miles went by quickly and then we made our turn away from the 5K and we had nice open roadways. I was still surprised with the amount of people that were running this distance though! We got a nice long downhill and I prepared my group to save energy for the uphill coming on our way back. I think we made it to 3 miles before the lead runner was on his way back.

I enjoy this course as it flows down some winding roads and then the turn around is a loop through a park where they station a photographer. Such a beautiful backdrop in the middle of the city. The way back I told my group they were dragging me along for the ride, they were killing it yet and this was the fastest I have had to run yet all year! The mile long uphill went really well and then we were just over a mile from the finish and heading downhill.

I was filled with so much pride at this point, we were averaging under 10:00 min miles and looking strong into the finish! I soaked it all in and just enjoyed these last moments of the program. I had to tell Missy to just go ahead towards the finish, my little legs couldn't keep up and I wanted to see her sprint into the finish.

Tried to make a heart, kinda worked!!



Official Time: 1:31:18
Average Pace: 9:49
Overall 328/486


I totally forgot to get a pic of the chocolate bar you get after the race, but I did wait until the next day to devour it! Super cute shirt this year, but fairly thin for a long sleeve. In the past these have been tech shirts but their shirts never fit well so I am totally ok with this.





Oh yeah, and we had an art teacher in our group so we did shoe prints before one of our last runs. She made a really cool collage of them all and we got to make one for ourselves if we wanted. Turned out so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!